Districts Week: District 5 Preview

by Jarrett Felix

A (1 Team, 5 Individuals)
Look, I know more about Pitch Perfect than I do about District 5. But to be fair I know a lot about Pitch Perfect. Not a great introductory sentence, but that's what I got for doing this at 10:30 while listening to the Pitch Perfect soundtrack. The point is, I'm far from an expert on District 5 and things get even trickier when most of the top teams are MIA all year. I don't think the defending champs (Southern Fulton) have a run a milesplit worthy invite yet this year, but I still have them slotted in the favorite spot as they proved themselves a year ago and have a decent amount of returners. That being said Meyersdale and Winber have each shown flashes of potential over the last 12 months. I especially like the 4x8 Winber threw down during track season, although who knows if that will translate at all to the trails. As far as I can tell, this one is a toss up so I lean towards the defending champs here.

Steven Glodek has looked pretty strong thus far this fall. He seems like a worth pick for the champion slot, a strong jump from last year's finish. He put on a nice run at the Big Spring Invitational and was also in the mix at Carlisle. Those are some nice big race experiences for this kid that should hopefully allow him to contend well at states. Southern Fulton's Voight and Varner are last year's top returners but, like I said before, they haven't raced this year so it's hard to think of them as more than wildcards.

Watch out for David Felix. I am 100% serious when I say we might be related because we might and just have no idea. My grandad on my dad's side is from Johnstown area out in the heart of District 5 and we might be like distant cousins or something. My Dad and I tried to facebook it and find out if we are related but we couldn't find any leads. Rock on David, related or not I hope you make it to states.

1. Southern Fulton2. Meyersdale

1StevenGlodekFannett-MetalSr
2ChaseVarnerSouthern FultonJr
3LutherFloresWinber
4BenVoightSouthern FultonJr
5DavidFelixJohnstownSr
6RyanDemayoJohnstown
7KendallSwickMeyersdale
8HunterAngleFannett-MetalSr
9TrentonNoonWinber
10ShaneYutzyMeyersdale
Worth noting the other notable District 5 teams in AA will compete with the District 6 schools so guys like Will Kachman and company will be prominently featured in the D6 preview coming later in the week.

2 comments: